Beard Oil vs. Balm: Know the Difference and Uses of Each
Taking care of your beard means knowing what kind of products are best for it. That means asking yourself questions like, “what kind of comb should I use for my beard” or “which is the best beard conditioner between the two, oil or balm?” The latter seems to have been a subject of debate for quite some time, even among beard care experts. Let’s break down how both products are used and if one is actually better than the other.
Beard oil is a kind of conditioner that works best to hydrate and reduce beard itch. If you want a product that can get rid of dry, flaky, and irritated skin, then beard oil has exactly the components you need for it. Try looking for a beard oil made from all-natural ingredients to soften your beard and keep it moist throughout the day. It also helps to deodorize it, and it absorbs more readily and deeply than a wax-based beard balm.
On the other hand, a beard balm is a hybrid conditioner and styling aid that can be used conveniently at any time of the day. Think of it as a light-to-medium hold pomade that also works as a conditioner similar to beard oil. In fact, beard balm shares a lot of characteristics of oil, except for a few features. Balms also contain a blend of natural oils but with the addition of beeswax, hence the name. Beard balms are known to do two things for your manly mane:
- It hydrates facial hair as well as the skin beneath it, sealing in moisture and protecting your beard from environmental stressors.
- It tames stray beard and mustache hairs, allowing you to style them and train them to grow a certain way.
Using Beard Oil and Beard Balm Together
Now that you know what the uses of beard balm and oil are, the next question that pops into your head is probably, “can I use them together as part of my beard grooming routine?” The answer is a resounding yes! Here’s what you need to do to use them both:
- Put a few drops of beard oil on your palm, enough to cover the thickness of your beard. You can start with a few drops at first and add more as necessary.
- Rub the beard oil between your palms and massage it on the skin beneath your beard. Then move downward and apply it to your facial hair as well. The oil needs to get to the skin, so you can maximize the beard oil’s effects.
- Get a boar bristle beard brush or comb and use it to gently distribute the beard oil throughout the entirety of your mane.
- Next, scoop out a dime-sized amount of beard balm with your hand and rub your hands together to soften the product for easier application.
- Work the beard balm into your beard, similar to how you applied the oil. This time, however, focus more on the hairs than the skin.
- Finally, repeat step number three and use the brush to distribute the wax and style it accordingly.
The beard products you use speaks a lot about how you take care of your facial hair. That’s why it’s important to know what each product can do and how your beard can benefit from it. By following this guide, you’ll never have to worry about whether beard oil or beard balm is better for you.
Sphinx Beard is offering game-changing beard care products designed to keep your facial hair healthy and smelling great. The products we offer are made from the highest quality ingredients that even the pharaohs of old will be proud of. If you’re looking for some good beard oil, balm, or fragrances, visit the Sphinx Beard online for all your beard grooming needs.